Autumnal Equinox

Blessings this Mabon to everyone, neo-Pagan, Atheist, Humanist, Muslim, Jewish, Christian, Hindu and Buddhist, Heathen and Agnostic.

Happy Mabon!

What is this holiday, you say? It's the Pagan holiday that recognises the harvest; the Autumnal Equinox, and the first official day of Autumn, or harvest-time.

Officially it's not until Saturday, but I haven't been having a very festive time lately. I've been frustrated and annoyed and generally ready to throw things-- which isn't a very good way to feel. Today and yesterday, alone, I've been fighting with Borderlands... it won't load, and I can't figure out what's corrupted! I'd like to throw the game away, except I have about 150 hours into it, and love it so. So, I'm pulling out my hair trying to find the fault.

Of course, that's the all; my kids have been bickering non-stop; I've been in the middle of a nasty case of insomnia; amongst other things. It's normal, really, a part of living, to deal with shit that all falls on you at the same time.

I don't want to talk about that, though. I want to think on the Equinox, instead.

At one time, when we humans were more ruled by the seasons this holiday was a pretty big deal! Think about it, Lughnassadh (August 1 or 2) celebrates the harvest of wheat and the beginning of the fruits to come in; Mabon celebrates the rest of the veggies, and signifies getting ready for the dark, cold winter to come.

Admittedly, there's not a whole lot of evidence that ancient people celebrated these days in the same way that Neo-Pagans do, today. Most of our modern day religion is guess-work, and hopes, and a little ingenuity, rather than truly reconstructing anything. I'm adult enough to admit it, and I'm not ashamed; making it up as we go, is a very common thing for humanity-- it really is the way we've always done it. So long as I don't get dogmatic about it, so long as I am flexible and open to change, there's nothing wrong with trying to figure shit out as I get to it.

Saturday I'll spend some time in meditation; I need that to centre, badly-- I just haven't been able to disconnect properly to get there. I can't shut my brain off, probably something that's familiar to anyone who has ever tried to meditate! Some times you just can't get your anxiety to pause, or your worries to cease, or your excitement to hold, just for those few moments. So I will keep trying.

I'll take a few moments to be thankful for the farmers who plant and harvest my grains, and fruit, my veggies and tubers. I'll make sure that I am mindful of these people, names and faces unknown to me, who make their life in the earth, bringing forth food for others.

I'll be mindful to be thankful for the men and woman who raise chickens and cows for eggs and milk and cheese. I will make sure that I thank them for the energy they put into my food; food that I in term use to fuel my body and spirit.

Now, when I cook, I try to pour some of my thankfulness and mindfulness into my preparation. Many people say "grace" before they eat, or after; it's merely a thanks to the Creator, or Cosmos, or whatever, for the food they are eating. I do something like that when I cook; I envision my thanks blossoming into health and nourishment, pouring into my cooking prep, whether it's as I stir the chicken and dumplings, or steam the rice; boil the pasta, or make the sauce. I imagine a long rainbow ribbon of energy that will wrap around the atoms of food, saturating them with goodness and adding love to the vitamins and minerals already present.

I always try to be thankful, but this weekend, I'm going to take a moment, while the Earth stands on her centre, while we have equal day and night hours, and count my blessings, again. I will make mental mention of my thanks for my health, my family, my beloved husband, my house, my friends, my food and even my cats. I will remember that I have much, even when it feels like I have nothing at all.

I am thankful for you, my readers, too.

Happy Harvest, and blessings to you and yours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mourning and Loss

Meandering on parenting

The Predator's Smile